Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reflection for September 22nd Class

  1. A mathematical idea from the session that is new or important.
    This session validated how important it is to teach students different strategies when adding and subtracting.  After the previous session I left class thinking to myself, "Why on earth would I teach students compensation?  It is SO confusing!"  This class reminded me how important it is to teach the strategies, and then students will pick what strategy works for them.  When I was in the classroom, I was constantly having my kids come to board and solve the problems, but not just solve them but talk the rest of the class through what they did to get to the answer.  It is also nice to hear how the other teachers are connecting what we are doing in out math endorsement class to what they are doing with their students.  I feel that I actually have a disadvantage being an Ed Tech.  I don't get to practice what I am learning on students, but at least I can learn from my peers.
  2. A question I have.
    I don't have a question right now, but I am excited for the next session when we get into multiplication and division.
  3. An application of the mathematical idea for my classroom.
    My answer to this is the same as last week.

No comments: