Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sept. 8th Class Reflection

Egyptian Number System
 A mathematical idea that was new/important to me is the importance of teaching student the history of numbers.  This isn't a new concept to me, but for some reason something clicked on how important it is for students to know this.  By teaching students how the Egyptians used to write numbers, how they used those characters to add and subtract can be a great way to teach students place value.  Place value has always been an important concept for students to learn and understand, and as a teacher I am constantly trying to think of ways to teach it to my students.  Place value is HUGE, and that is another thing that really clicked for me today.  Students need to understand what the 3 really represents in the number 3,245.  I am hopeful that throughout the course of this math endorsement class I will learn different teaching strategies to reach the different learners that I will encounter in the classroom.

No comments: